Saturday, November 29, 2008

July 27, 2008 The Big Sound of the Big Band
Robert Trowers, trombone player, composer and teacher came back to join me for a Big Band Show. Robert traveled with many big bands and performed around the world including with the Lionel Hampton and Count Basie bands. He came carrying many albums and CDs for the show.

Amazingly enough, Charles Tolliver called Robert in the middle of the show, and so I asked him to call back on the WCOM line and had him join the discussion. He had recently been at and performed at Duke University as part of the Following Monk Jazz Festival.

Playlist -
  • Count Basie's Orchestra; This Time by Basie; I Can't Stop Loving You
  • Ella Fitzgerald & Duke Ellington's Orchestra; Pure Ella; Take the A Train
  • Toshiko Akiyoshi - Lew Tabackin Big Band; European Memoirs CD; Remembering Bud
  • Count Basie's Orchestra; This Time by Basie; One Mint Julep
  • Pete Fountain; The Best of Pete Fountain; Columbus Stockade Blues
  • Louis Armstrong & Duke Ellington; Cotton Tail
  • Harry James Orchestra: Best of Harry James; Two O'Clock Jump
  • Count Basie & Sarah Vaughan; You Go to My Head
  • Jimmy Smith; Jazz Legends; Walk on the Wildside
  • Dizzy Gillespie; Dizzy Gillespie Story; A Night in Tunisia
  • Duke Ellington/Count Basie; The Count Meets the Duke; Wildman
  • Woody Herman; Blues on Parade; Woodchopper's Ball
  • Tommy Dorsey; Best of TD; I'm Getting Sentimental Over You
  • Frank Capp Juggernaut; In a Hefti Bag; Midnite Blue
Tom and Marilyn stopped by the WCOM studio to listen in to the show and to meet Robert. WCOM is located in downtown Carrboro, NC.

1 Comments:

At 2:07 PM, Blogger pjbraine said...

First: I am wondering if you are the same Melva Fager who attended Camp Hochelaga, on Lake Champlain, in South Hero, Vermont, back in the 1950's. Melva & I were bunk mates, pen pals and best friends for many years. She had a beautiful sister about three years older than Melva and I. Her brother John was my first big crush. For years, I dreamed about him! It would be great to find that you are the same.

Second: I'm very interested in having a conversation with you about jazz, as I am assembling photographs and experiences I have had in the world of jazz in the late 1960's - early 70's, and putting together a book.

Third: I am producing a radio program about local Vermont jazz and other musicians for the internet. We have a ways to go. However, time is being set aside this summer for interviews. Last summer I interviewed Dave Brubeck for a second time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home