Friday, November 28, 2008



June 2008 Tribute to Brother Yusuf Salim
Brother Yusuf Salim was born in Baltimore, MD, and came to the Triangle Area in the mid-70s. He was soon followed by his good friend, Bus Brown, a consummate jazz singer, song writer, and teacher to all. Brother Yusef played all the clubs in the area for over 30 years. He always had a kind word and smile for all. I called him, the "Godfather of NC Jazz."

Freeman Ledbetter, Durham-based bass player, organized a tribute to and for Brother Yusuf. Jazz musicians from around the Triangle area showed up at the nursing home where Brother Yusuf stayed the last few weeks of his life. Although his hands were cripled over, and his body, too, after listening to others play for a while, Brother Yusuf asked to play. And then the magic began as he played with just a few fingers on each hand the most beautiful music. It was a wonderful memorable moment.
I am forever thankful to both Brother Yusuf Salim and Bus Brown for their music, their talents, their friendship, their teaching and encouragement to all. You will be missed always.

1 Comments:

At 6:08 PM, Blogger Drew said...

I very much enjoyed playing with Brother Yusef he was so accepting and generous. I found this page while looking for some video on youtube of his show on PBS called Jazz With Brother Yusef and Friends. I think that is what it was called. I first saw it when I went to a tribute at the Know Bookstore where I had the honor of being able to play with him and also take part in the tribute on the Friday night before the tribute at Hati Center. Being able to play that night meant a lot to me. It would be great to have some of the video of the TV program on Youtube. Whoever has it should upload the video.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home