Monday, April 07, 2008

March 16, 2008 NC Jazz Giants
As always, on my show tonight, I featured the sounds of NC jazz musicians. Each week, I begin and end my show with Billy Taylor's beautiful jazz spiritual, I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel to be Free. Dr. Taylor was born in Greenville, NC. I start my show with Nina Simone, raised in Tryon, NC, singing Dr. Taylor's song and end my show with his playing his song on the piano. I love both versions and the bookends that they give to my show.

Playlist -
  • Nina Simone (b. Tryon, NC); Anthology CD; I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel to be Free
  • Stanley Turrentine; On a Misty Night CD; That's the Way of the World
  • Robert Trowers (living Durham, NC); Point of View CD; Have you Met Miss Jones
  • Billy Taylor (b. Greenville, NC); Where've you Been CD; Night Comes Tenderly
  • Paul Tardif (lives Greenville, NC); Points of Departure CD; One for Nick
  • Stanley Turrentine; On a Misty Night CD; Have You Ever Seen the Rain
  • Grady Tate (b. and raised and schooled Durham, NC and attended NC Central Univ.); Windmills of Your Mind CD; And I Love Her
  • Joao Gilberto with Grady Tate on drums; Amoroso/Brazil CD; Besame Mucho
  • Roy Hargrove; With Strings CD; You Go to My Head
  • Coleman Hawkins; The Best of Coleman Hawkins CD; Make Someone Happy
  • Paul Desmond & Gerry Mulligan; Two of a Mind CD; All the Things You Are
  • Robert Griffin (lives Carrboro, NC); NC: A State of Music; Killing Me Softly
  • Harry Pickens; Passionate Ballads CD; Over the Rainbow
  • Freddie Hubbard; Freddie Hubbard '07; Sky Dive
  • Cesaria Evora; Sao Vicente CD; Sao Vicente Di Longo
  • Gene Harris; Trio Plus One CD; Misty
  • Harry Pickens; Passionate Ballads CD; The Nearness of You
  • Charlie Haden & Hank Jones; Steal Away CD; It's me, O Lord
  • Billy Taylor; Music Keeps You Young CD; I Wish I Knew How it Would Feel to be Free
Please join me on the internet by webstreaming every Sunday night from 7:00 - 9:00 EST. I thank Paul Jones for making our webstreaming capability possible through ibiblio. Here's a picture of Paul, attending yet NOT paying attention, at the recent Microsoft Tech Summit.

If you live in the Carrboro/Chapel Hill area of NC, you can catch us on 103 fm on your dial. Or give me a call to chat or make a request at 919 929-9601. We are a community-powered low power radio station, run by over 50 volunteer DJs, who bring a lot of love to their program.

I thank Molly and Eli for dropping by the studio to keep me company and say, 'hi'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home