Monday, March 24, 2008

March 2, 2008 From Funk to Classical
Having recently gone to the Maceo Parker concert at Duke, I was inspired to share his music on my show. I ended up dividing my two-hour show into two parts - Funky on the front side and toward the classical side of jazz in the second half. Maceo Parker is from Kinston, NC and is one of NC's finest. See the YouTube video of Maceo and his band performing - What's Going On.

Playlist -
Nina Simone (b. Tryon, NC); Anthology CD; I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel to be Free
Maceo Parker (b. Kinston, NC); Roots & Grooves CD; Georgia on My Mind
Professor Longhair; Rum & Coke CD; Everyday I Have the Blues
Maceo Parker; Roots & Grooves; To Be Or Not to Be & Hit the Road Jack
Neville Brothers; Treacherous CD; Waiting at the Station & Cha Dooky-Do
Ray Charles; You Don't Know Me
Ray Charles & Johnny Mathis; Genius Loves Company CD; Over the Rainbow
Maceo Parker; Southern Exposure CD; Keep on Marching
Lou Donaldson (b. Badin, NC); Alligator Bogaloo CD & song
Robert Trowers (lives Durham, NC) & Al Grey; Point of View CD; Spleep Bop
Andrezij Jagodzinski Trio; Prelude in E Minor
Sarah Bolen (from Chapel Hill, NC); Naked on the Inside CD; Tangarines
Charles Lloyd; Lift Every Voice CD; Lift Every Voice & What's Going On
Keith Jarrett; The Melody At Night CD; Blame it on my Youth
Paulo Lopez (lives Chapel Hill, NC); Brazilian Soul CD; So Queroum Xodo

I was joined in the studio this evening by my good friends Ann and Carl Evans, in town from Bethel, Alaska, and their daughter Deanna. Ann and Carl shared stories on the air of some of their health work in the smallest villages in N Alaska and the flights in and out of such remote sites.

At dinner at my home, earlier in the evening, the Chapel Hill-raised peformer, Sarah Bolin joined us and shared some of her music played live in my home. Sarah is a talented singer, song-writer, and guitar player. I played a song from her CD on my show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home