Monday, April 07, 2008

March 23, 2008 The Classical Side of Jazz
Tonight I selected songs that were on the classical side of jazz. I enjoyed a mellow evening on WCOM out of Carrboro, NC, where each Sunday night from 7:00 - 9:00, I feature the sounds of NC jazz musicians and sometimes much, much more. You can join me from any where in the world by going to the ibiblio-provided webstreaming connection, thanks to Paul Jones.

I played a number of songs from my three new CDs featuring the playing of Billy Strayhorn. Billy spent many a summer of his life in Hillsborough, NC with his grandparents. I am still seeking a recording of his solo concert at the end of his life - surely someone recorded such an historical moment. I did find him playing duets with Duke Ellington on one CD; with Johnny Hodges on another; and a solo of Billy's from earlier in his career.

Playlist -
  • Nina Simone (b. Tryon, NC); Anthology CD; I Wish I Knew How it Would Feel to be Free
  • Andrzej Jagodzinski Trio CD; Prelude in E Minor
  • Johnny Hodges & Billy Strayhorn & The Orchestra CD; Don't Get Around Much Any More
  • Frankie Alexander (lives Durham, NC); Mad About the Words CD; At Long Last Love
  • Stephen Anderson Trio (lives Chapel Hill, NC); Forget Not CD; Mobiles
  • Johnny Hodges/Billy Strayhorn & The Orchestra CD; Star Dust
  • Andrzej Jagodzinski Trio CD; Etude in A Minor
  • Harry Pickens; Passionate Ballads CD; Someone to Watch Over Me
  • Stephen Anderson Trio; Forget Not CD; T'so Political
  • Al Neese Quintet (lives Greensboro, NC); The Omen Seeker CD; Wood Heat
  • Billy Strayhorn (lived Hillsborough, NC); Piano Passions CD; Lush Life
  • Robert Trowers (lives Durham, NC); Point of View CD; Minority
  • Duke Ellington/Billy Strayhorn; Piano Duets CD; Cotton Tail
  • Billy Strayhorn; Piano Passion CD; Take the A Train
  • Duke Ellington/Billy Strayhorn; Piano Duets CD; Perdido
  • Johnny Hodges/Billy Strayhorn & The Orchestra CD; Cotton Tail
  • Mary Lou Williams (lived Durham, NC); May Mama Pinned a Rose on Me CD; The Blues
  • Stanley Turrentine; On a Misty Night CD; That's the Way of the World
  • Billy Taylor (b. Greenville, NC); Music Keeps Us Young CD; I Wish I Knew How it Would Feel to be Free
I'm wishing a Happy Birthday to Zoe, who is a young song writer and singer, and regular guest on my show. You can see she had a sweet celebration.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home