Sunday, February 04, 2007

January 27, 2007 Sawyer - Goldberg Swings






Joining me in the WCOM radio studio this week were the members of the Durham-based jazz group, Sawyer-Goldberg. Band members include: Susan Cohen, vocals; Roger Cook, electric & acoustic bass; Pete Goldberg, guitar; Lou Sawyer, alto, tenor & soprano sax; and David Shore on drums. I played songs from their new CD, Jazzadelia. After sharing their music, I played the music of musicians that inspire them; including Paul Desmond & Gerry Mulligan; Lenny Breau; Lambert, Hendricks & Ross; and The Ed Bickert Trio & Dave McKenna.

My radio show, Melva's Musings on Jazz, features the music of NC jazz musicians. Please join me every Sunday night from 7:00-9:00 EST on the web, by going to www.communityradio.coop and clicking on the button in the upper right-hand corner for web-broadcast. If you live in the Carrboro, NC area you can catch us on your radio dial at 103.5 FM. We are 100 Watts of Wonder so you need to be within 5 miles of our tower to pick us up.

Playlist
  • Nina Simone (b. Tryon, NC); Anthology CD; I Wish I Knew How it Would Feel to be Free
  • Sawyer-Goldberg (Durham-based group); Jazzadelia CD; Black Orpheus, Softly As in a Morning Sunrise; But Beautiful, My Romance Lover, Invitation
  • Paul Desmond & Gerry Mulligan; Two of a Mind CD; All the Things You Are & Star Dust
  • Lenny Breau; Five O'Clock Bills/Mo Breau CD; Days of Wine and Roses
  • Lambert, Hendricks & Ross; Sing Ellington CD; Cottontail
  • The Ed Bickert Trio & Dave McKenna; Third Floor Richard CD; Circus
Upcoming
  • Feb. 11th - I will be hosting a CD Release Party/Concert for Frankie Alexander, Durham-based jazz singer. Please join us at Carrboro's ArtsCenter from 1:30-3:30. Frankie will be performing songs from her new CD, Mad About the Words, and will be joined by the musicians who play on her CD, including Ed Paolantonio & Steve Wing on piano; Rick Jones on bass; George Hindenach on drums; Al Neese on trumpet; and Lou Sawyer on tenor sax. Wine and food will be served. Also hosting the party are Marley and Jetse.
  • Feb. 11th - Later in the day, from 7:00 - 9:00, I will celebrate the 2nd Anniversary of my radio show, Melva's Musings on Jazz. Please come by the WCOM studio to send your greetings and join with other jazz-lovers. WCOM is located in downtown Carrboro on the corner of N. Greensboro St. and Weaver Street, just across from the side of Weaver Street Market. Chris Frank, jazz piano player and member of the Red Clay Ramblers, will play live in the studio during my show. Cake and drink will be served. I hope you can join me for this fun celebration.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home