Thursday, November 30, 2006

November 26, 2006 Jazzy Joe Visits the Show
My son, Joe, was in town for the holidays from the Big Apple and came to my radio show to help me pick out some new songs. Melva's Musings on Jazz comes to you from Carrboro, NC on WCOM, 103.5 fm on the dial. We are low power, which means to get a good reception anywhere in the world, your best option is to go to the internet broadcast at www.communityradio.coop. My show features the best of NC's jazz musicians of the present and our past. Often I have jazz musicians on my show playing live music. I like to brag on North Carolina and say we have born and bred more great jazz musicians than any other state.

Please join me every Sunday night from 7:00 - 9:00 p.m. EST.

Playlist
  • Nina Simone (b. Tryon, NC); Anthology CD; I Wish I Knew How it Would Feel to be Free
  • Ray Charles/Gladys Knight; Genius Loves Company CD; Heaven Help Us All
  • Billie Holiday; The Essential CD; One for My Baby
  • Neville Brothers; Treacherous CD; Waiting at the Station
  • Frankie Alexander (b. Concord, NC; lives Durham, NC) jazz singer and Scott Warner (taught at UNC-Chapel Hill for ten years) jazz piano player, composer, teacher; Feeling LIke Someone in Love
  • Dizzy Gillespie (h.s. in Laurinburg, NC); Dizzier & Dizzier CD; You Stole My Wife, You Horsethief
  • Arturo Sandoval; Modern Jazz (Beatles music) CD; Blackbird
  • Bus Brown (lived Durham, NC for 10 yrs.) jazz singer, song writer, teacher; Story Teller album; Did You Thank Allah
  • Brother Yusuf Salim (lives Durham, NC) jazz piano player, singer, composer; Yusuf Sings Yusuf CD; Hymn to Us All
  • Max Roach (b. New Land, NC); 3/4 Time CD; Little Folks
  • Susan Reeves (Raleigh-based singer); Susan Reeves CD; You'd Be So Nice to Come Home To
  • Mary Lou Williams (lived and died in Durham, NC); My Mama Pinned a Rose on Me CD; The Blues (with Cynthia Tyson vocalist; Durham blues singer)
  • Neville Brothers; Treacherous CD; Hercules
  • Robert Griffin (Carrboro, NC) piano player, composer, teacher; NC: A State of Music CD; Killing Me Softly
  • Lola Youngman and the Dave Youngman Quartet (Greensboro, NC); This Can't Be Love CD; Peel Me a Grape
  • Al Green & Lyle Lovett; Rhythm/Country & Blues CD; Funny How Time Slips Away
  • Mahlon Hoard (Pittsboro, NC) saxaphonist & Tyson Rogers on piano; The Land Outside CD; Falling Arch
  • Sawyer-Goldberg (Durham-based jazz group) Jazzadelia CD; But Beautiful
  • Gabriel Pelli (violinist Carrboro-area) & Katharine Whalen (Durham-based singer); Europa Jazz CD; I Cover the Waterfront
  • Jamuna (Pittsboro-based singer); The Innocence to Cry CD; Moscow Night
  • Thelonius Monk (b. Rocky Mount, NC) & John Coltrane (b. Hamlet, NC); Thelonius Monk with John Coltrane CD; Epistrophy
  • Richard Tazewell (NC); Stairway to the Stars CD; You Go to My Head
  • Billy Taylor (b. Greenville, NC); Taylor Made at the Kennedy Center; I Wish I Knew How it Felt to be Free
I start and end my show with the same song with a special emphasis on a great NC composer and two terrific NC performers. I begin my show with Nina Simone (Tryon, NC) singing the Billy Taylor song, I Wish I Knew How It Felt To Be Free, and end with Billy Taylor (Greenville, NC) playing his own song.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home