Monday, November 06, 2006

November 5, 2006 Melva's Musings and Much, Much More
As always, I invited friends to come join me in the studio - so thanks Susan, Richard, Joanne, and Bruce for coming by. And they came equipped with CD's and requested songs. So we moved a bit from my usual NC jazz music format and included the Beatles, Jimmy Cliff, Elvis and music from the CD - The Black Soul of Peru. My brother, John Fager, who is quite the NYC jazz fan, called me on the phone ( at WCOM 919 929-9601) to let me know he was listening and enjoying the show. And then Rocco called from Bath, NC to say 'hi'. I invite friends and jazz fans to stop by the studio in downtown Carrboro, or call in to send greetings and requests, or join me for my show, Melva's Musings on Jazz, on the web at www.communityradio.coop. And if you stop by, bring a jazz CD in hand with a special song you would like me to play - after all this is community radio.

I've been reading a lot of books about Dizzy Gillespie and much is written about his relationship with Charlie Parker. So I started my show off with Charlie Parker playing with other musicians who have NC roots.

There was a beautiful full moon tonight - which inspired the playing of Blue Moon!

November 5, 2006 Playlist
  • Nina Simone (from Tryon, NC); I Wish I Knew How it Would Feel to be Free; Anthology CD
  • Charlie Parker with Max Roach on drums (from New Land, NC); I Remember You; Charlie Parker CD
  • Charlie Parker & Dizzy Gillespie (lived in Laurinburg, NC); KoKo; Charlie and Dizzy at Carnegie Hall CD
  • Charlie Parker & Dizzy Gillespie & Max Roach; Anthropology; Ken Burns Jazz CD
  • Frankie Alexander (from Concord, NC & now Durham, NC) and Scott Warner on piano (lived in Chapel Hill for over 10 years); Like Someone in Love. Frankie has a new CD coming out soon!
  • Gabe Evens (Durham-based piano player, performer, teacher, and composer); Teach Me Tonight; Connection CD
  • Beatles; I Am the Walrus; Magical Mystery Tour CD
  • Jimmy Cliff; You Can Get It If You Really Want It; In Concert - the Best of Jimmy Cliff
  • Black Soul of Peru CD (last song)
  • Elvis Presley; Blue Moon; A Touch of Platinum CD
  • Professor Longhair; Gone So Long; Rum and Coke CD
  • Joao Gilberto with Grady Tate on drums (Grady is from Durham, NC); Besame Mucho; Amoroso/Brasil CD
  • Kevin Van Sant (Durham, NC guitarist) & Mahlon Hoard (Pittsboro NC sax player); Blue Monk; On a Whim
  • Ray Charles with Van Morrison; Crazy Love; Genius Loves Company CD
  • Al Neese (Greensboro, NC trumpet player) Quintet; Wood Heat; Omen Seeker CD
  • Bus Brown (jazz singer, teacher and composer; lived in Durham, NC for over 20 years); Did You Thank Allah?; Story Teller vinyl
  • Yusuf Salim (jazz piano player, singer and song writer; lives in Durham, NC); A Hymm For Us All; Yusuf Sings Yusuf CD
  • Sawyer - Goldberg (Durham-based jazz group); Black Orpheus; Jazzadelia CD
  • Mietek Glinkowski (Raleigh-based violinist) & Alexander Gorodezky (Raleigh-based guitarist); Libertango; Tango Cafe
  • Dizzy Gillespie (h.s. in Laurinberg, NC); Things to Come; Things to Come CD
  • Mary Lou Williams on piano (lived and died in Durham, NC) and singer Cynthia Tyson (a Durham-based singer); The Blues; My Mama Pinned a Rose on Me CD
  • Adia Ledbetter (Durham jazz singer); Route 66; First Take CD
  • Max Roach (drummer from New Land, NC); I'll Take Romance; 3/4 Time CD
  • Billy Taylor (Greenville, NC piano player, composer, performer, teacher); I Wish I Knew How it Would Feel to be Free; Taylor Made at the Kennedy Center CD
Please join me at www.communityradio.coop on WCOM for Melva's Musings on Jazz, every Sunday night from 7:00-9:00; community-powered lp radio but hp on the web!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home