October 1, 2006 Show of Melva's Musings on Jazz
I seemed to have the 'blues' going tonight with my choice of songs and mood. I played Blue Moon, Blues Waltz, The Blues, Blue Monk and Blue Salsa. My show features the sounds of NC jazz musicians.
Tonights playlist is:
- Nina Simone (born in Tryon, NC); Anthology CD; theme song which I open and close my show with - I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free by Billy Taylor from Greenville, NC.
- Elvis Presley; A Touch of Platinum CD; Blue Moon. Elvis does not hail from NC but he certainly knows how to sing gospel and the blues - two vital tap roots of jazz; and I love his interpretation of this great song.
- Aaron Neville; Nature Boy CD; Cry Me A River. I rarely miss the opportunity to throw into the mix a song by Aaron.
- Max Roach (born in New Land, NC); 3/4 Time CD; Blues Waltz.
- Lola Youngman; This Can't Be Love CD; I Don't Stand a Ghost of a Chance with You. Lola was accompanied by the Dave Youngman Quartet from Greensboro, NC.
- Bus Brown; Story Teller record; It Never Was Always. Bus Brown is a 99-year young jazz singer, performer, teacher, composer and a fine generous-hearted man. He lived for over 10 years in Durham, NC and has returned to his hometown of Baltimore.
- Mahlon Hoard (from NC and living in Chapel Hill) with Tyson Rogers and Rick Lassiter; The Land Outside CD; Falling Arch.
- Brother Yusef Salim; The Songs of Yusef CD; A Humn For Us All. This plaintiff anti-war song is unfortunately a song for all seasons. The song is written and performed by Brother Yusef, who was originally from Baltimore but has lived and performed in the Durham area for the last 25 years.
- Kevin Van Sant/Mahlon Hoard; On a Whim CD; Blue Monk. Kevin lives in Durham, NC.
- Gabe Evens Trio with John Brown on bass and Bobby Cohen on drums; Connection CD; Blue Salsa. Gabe lives in Durham and is currently back in school to further his musical studies at the University of Miami.
- Al Green & Lyle Lovett; Rhythm, Country & Blues CD; Funny How Time Slips Away. This is a wonderful CD that mixes artists from differing genres - check it out!
- Sawyer-Goldberg; Jazzadelia CD; Black Orpheus. The group is from Durham, NC.
- Mary Lou Williams; My Mama Pinned a Rose on Me CD; The Blues. Mary Lou Williams finished her life as a teacher, mentor and inspiration at Duke University in Durham, NC. On this song, she is accompanied by Cynthia Tyson, a Durham-based singer. I was saddened to hear that Ms. Tyson has passed away.
- Frankie Alexander & Scott Warner; Jazz favorites demo: Feeling Like Someone in Love and Alone Together. Frankie is a jazz singer and resides and performs in the Triangle area of NC. She will have a new CD coming out in December, 2006. Scott Warner lived, taught, wrote and performed in the Triangle Area. He currently resides in Oakland, CA.
- Joao Gilberto with Grady Tate on drums; Amoroso/Brazil CD; Besame Mucho. Grady Tate grew up in Durham, NC and attended there the North Carolina Central University.
- Dizzy Gillespie; Ool-Ya-Koo CD; Cubana Be. Dizzy went to high school in Laurinberg, NC.
- Al Neese; The Omen Seeker CD; Wood Heat. Al lives in Greensboro, NC.
- Ray Charles; Genius Loves Company CD; You Don't Know Me with Diana Krall joining him on this song.
- Robert Griffin; NC: A State of Music CD; Killing Me Softly. Robert lives in Carrboro, NC and performs in the greater Triangle area.
- Charlie Parker/Dizzy Gillespie/Max Roach; Charlie Parker; Ken Burns Series CD; Koko.
- Chick Corea; My Spanish Heart CD; Day Danse. He will perform on Oct. 14th at Memorial Hall on the campus of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Tony Galiani on bass and Greg Brink on piano; jazz CD demo; There is No Greater Love. Tony lives in Carrboro, NC and was a primary volunteer who helped organize the jazz sector of the Carrboro Music Festival. Thanks, Tony!
- Billy Taylor; Taylor Made CD; I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel to be Free. Billy Taylor is from Greenville, NC. I begin and end my show with his song.
Please join me on the web for a webstreaming version of my show which comes to you live from the WCOM studio in downtown Carrboro at www.communityradio.coop. Just click on the button in the upper-righthand corner and you'll be connected. My show is every Sunday night from 7:00 - 9:00 EST.