Tuesday, January 23, 2007

January 14, 2007 A Drum Major for Justice

In honor of the life and work of Martin Luther King, Jr., I dedicated my radio show to his speeches, and songs that I felt were complementary to the mood of the speeches. My radio show, Melva's Musings on Jazz, is broadcast from the studios of WCOM in Carrboro, NC; every Sunday night from 7:00 - 9:00 EST. You can hear us on the web any where in the world by going to the WCOM website and clicking on the button in the upper right-hand corner. We are a 100 watts of wonder local power radio station that can be heard, albeit low power, at 103 fm in the Carrboro/Chapel Hill area. Our phone number is 919 929-9601 and I accept calls during my show - asking for requests, questions, or just to say 'hi'. I like to push the 'community' side of community radio and often have a good crowd in the studio with me - people who stop by to say hello, drop off a brownie, or to listen to the music provided by my jazz guests. For this I am thankful.

My show features the music of NC jazz musicians and their music - those of our past and those of our present. Please join me in person, on the radio, or on the internet.

Playlist
  • Nina Simone (b. Tryon, NC); Anthology CD; I Wish I Knew How it Would Feel to Be Free, Billy Taylor song (b. Greenville, NC) and theme song for my show
  • Martin Luther King, Jr.; In Search of Freedom CD; I Have a Dream
  • Nina Simone; Anthology CD; Why? The King of Love is Dead
  • Martin Luther King, Jr.; In Search of Freedom CD; A Preacher Leading His Flock
  • Alvin Alley; Retrospective of 10 Years of Dance CD; Wade in the Water
  • Solomon Burke; Don't Give Up on Me CD; None of Us are Free
  • Charles Haden & Hank Jones; Steal Away CD; We Shall Overcome
  • Mary Lou Williams & Cynthia Tyson; My Mama Pinned a Rose on Me CD; The Blues
  • Martin Luther King, Jr.; In Search of Freedom CD; Dr. King's Entrance into Civil Rights
  • James Brown; 20 All Time Greatest Hits CD; Say it Loud, I'm Black & I'm Proud
  • Charles Lloyd; Lift Every Voice CD; Lift Every Voice
  • Elvis Presley; Elvis Gospel CD; Take My Hand Precious Lord & Run
  • Charles Haden & Hank Jones: Steal Away CD; Swing Low, Sweet Chariot
  • Nina Simone; Anthology CD; Mississippi God Damm
  • Brother Yusuf Salim (lives Durham, NC); Yusuf Sings Yusuf CD; A Hymm for Us All
  • Nina Simone; Anthology CD; Strange Fruit
  • Charles Haden & Hank Jones; Steal Away CD; Nobody Knows the Trouble I've Seen
  • Martin Luther King, Jr.; In Search of Freedom CD; I Have a Dream
  • Chuck Brown & Eva Cassidy; The Other Side CD; Over the Rainbow
  • Nina Simone; Anthology CD; To Be Young Gifted and Black

I wish you all a good weekend and hope that you spent time reflecting on the life and works of Martin Luther King, Jr. I want to thank Roco (Sat. morning DJ on WCOM of the Music Hall show) for coming by and being on the air with me and to Liza, who stopped by the studio with brownies for me and Roco to thank us for the wonderful show. I thank her and small moments like this help keep me on the air and loving what I am doing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home