Friday, February 23, 2007


February 11, 2007 2nd Anniversary Party Show

Featuring the Music of NC Jazz Musicians - Tonight marks my 2nd Anniversary of my radio show, Melva's Musings on Jazz. Friends from all over the Triangle Area joined me in the studio to celebrate. Cake was provided by Erin and Heather and Erin was the event's photographer. Chris Frank, a wonderful jazz piano player and musician extraordinaire, played guitar and sang during my show. With Chris was his wife, Eli, daughter Molly (my regular assistant and inspiration) and Sadie (future anchorwoman for CNN). I thank the whole Frank family for their incredible support of me and my show over the past two years. They live in Carrboro, right around the corner from the WCOM studio. Chris is often found riding his bike around town - even in the coldest temperatures. WCOM may be community powered but it is also Chris-powered. Thank you, Chris, for all that you have done to launch and keep afloat this wonderful new 100 Watts of Wonder radio station in Carrboro, NC.

While Chris got settled in, I played:
- Nina Simone (b. Tryon, NC); Anthology CD; I Wish I Knew How it Would Feel To Be Free
- Frankie Alexander (b. Concord, NC) & Scott Warner on piano (lived Chapel Hill for many years); Feeling Like Someone in Love
- Adia Ledbetter (Durham-based singer); First Take CD; Route 66
- Sawyer-Goldberg (Durham-based jazz group); Jazzadelia CD; Black Orpheus

Chris Frank played guitar and sang
- Out of Nowhere
- I'm Old Fashioned
- You Turned the Tables on Me
- I Remember Iowa
- Oxen & the Plow
- Lullaby for Christine

Additional Playlist
- Percy Heath (b. Wilmington, NC) with the Modern Jazz Quartet; Django CD; Autumn in NY
- Nina Simone (b. Tryon, NC); Sugar in My Bowl CD; I Get Along Without You (Except Sometimes)
- Miles Davis: Best of Miles Davis CD; Autumn Leaves
- Robert Griffin (lives in Carrboro); NC: A State of Music CD; It Ain't You & Killing Me Softly
- Madison Smartt Bell & Wyn Cooper; Forty Words for Fear CD; On 8 Mile
- Joao Gilberto; Amoroso/Brazil CD; Corderro De Nana & Besame Mucho (with Grady Tate on drums, b. Durham)
- Bus Brown; Storyteller Album; America

The day was a blessed jazz music day for me. Earlier I hosted a CD Release Party-Concert for Frankie Alexander at Carrboro's ArtsCenter. She performed with all the musicians on her CD - Ed Paolantonio and Steve Wing on piano, Rick Jones on bass, Lou Sawyer on tenor sax, Al Neese on trumpet; and George Hindenach on Drums. All are local jazz musicians. Marley, Jetze, and I greeted the 150 attendees and treated them to wonderful music, food and wine. All commented on what a fabulous party it was and close to 50 CDs were sold. Congratulations Frankie on a wonderful new CD! Your star is rising.

Frankie dedicated the concert to her mentor and lifetime companion, Bus Brown, whose health is struggling at age 99 1/2. For the first time he is in the hospital. With Bus and joy in her heart, Frankie sang "They Can't Take That Away From Me."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home