Monday, October 29, 2007

October 28, 2007 With a Song in Your Heart
After many weeks of a special focus on the music of Thelonius Monk, I decided to focus on a show of some of my favorite vocalists. As always, with a special focus on the music of NC jazz musicians and their music, I played from a wide range of CDs. I was so surprised to have Chris, Eli, Molly and Sadie come by with a baby pumpkin for me. It was great seeing them. And later in the show, Rene stopped by with the flyer from the Jason Moran concert.

Playlist
  • Nina Simone (b. Tryon, NC); Anthology CD; I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel to be Free
  • Frankie Alexander (lives Durham, NC); Mad About the Words CD; Taking a Chance on Love
  • Jamuna (lives Pittsboro, NC); The Innocence to Cry CD; Moscow Night
  • Ray Charles & Diane Krall; Genius Love Company CD; You Don't Know Me
  • Betty Carter; Feed the Fire CD; All or Nothing at All
  • Cesaria Evora; Sao Vicente CD; Homem Na Meio Di Homen
  • Eva Cassidy; The Other Side CD; Over the Rainbow
  • Billie Holiday; Greatest Hits CD; I Loves You, Porgy
  • Joao Gilberto & Grady Tate on drums (b. Durham, NC); Amoroso/Brasil CD; Besame Mucho
  • Paulo Lopez & Friends (lives Chapel Hill, NC); Brazilian Soul CD; So Quero Um Xodo
  • Adia Ledbettter (lives Durham, NC); First Take CD; You Don't Know What Love Is
  • Norah Jones; Come Away With Me CD; The Nearness of You
  • Carmen McRae; Lover Man CD; God Bless the Child
  • Nat King Cole; The Best of the Nat King Cole Trio CD; It's Only a Paper Moon
  • Marian McPartland & Dizzy Gillespie (high school in Laurinburg, NC); Piano Jazz CD; Round Midnight (song by Thelonius Monk, b. Rocky Mount, NC)
  • Billie Holiday; The Classic Decade CD; Am I Blue
  • Count Basie & Joe Williams; Every Day I Have the Blues
  • Lambert, Hendricks & Ross; Everybody's Boppin CD; Summertime
  • John Brown (lives in Chatham Co, NC); Terms of Art CD; Caravan
  • Solomon Burke; Don't Give Up on Me CD; None of Us Are Free 7 Don't Give Up on Me
  • Bradshaw Quartet (NC-based); How High the Moon
  • Billy Taylor (b. Greenville, NC); Music Keeps Us Young CD; I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel to be Free
I begin and end my show with Billy Taylor's song, I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel to be Free.

My son, Will Okun, is blogging for the NY Times about issues related to the students he works with on the westside of Chicago. This week he told a poignant story about one of his students, Nicholas, who is a star student and lives in a homeless shelter for teens. Here is the link to this powerful story. Will is looking to find a way to help Nicholas out.

1 Comments:

At 7:28 AM, Blogger Emitt said...

Melva!!
were you there when Albert Ayler played Antioch? An unparallelled spiritual experience for me, and many others, as I recall, for after the concert we didn't want to leave, and lingered in the stairwells doing wild vocalese riffs and percussing on the handrails to get that low ringing vibe that mixed with the echo of human voice that raised the hair on the back of our necks. When Albert and the band finally came by on their way to the cab to the airport, they paused to groove with us for a few minutes, Albert with his big old fur hat bobbing up and down and his brother, the bassman, grinning marking time with a raised fist.
Anyway, i stumbled on your blog because i am Mr. Jazz in this Hilbilly Town and always on the lookout for life lines to Culture.
Other great musical days at Antioch included Jesse Colin Young and the Youngbloods, Jose Feliciano, who sang for handouts on the stoop, and Lawrence Hammond's Mad River Blues Band.
Ahh, Antioch, hopefully it will be reborn, but it will never be the same.
best regards, Dave Torrence (aka "Tory") I realize that's not much context to recall me...Andy Kenniston and me went to Chicago to work with Slim Coleman on JOIN, and various permutations of that movement. Was it only 40 years ago? It's neat to see your kid is back in the fray...I have two myself, on the north side, and one in Berkely

 

Post a Comment

<< Home