Wednesday, September 12, 2007

September 2, 2007 Jazzy Girls from Carrboro
Molly, Heather and Hayley kept the show going in my absence. Molly has helped me with my show off and on for the last two years, and Heather, too. As Heather would say, "Molly taught Melva everything she knows." Well that is close to being true. They are twelve year-olds with a lot of poise, confidence and humor. When I asked Molly to sub for me, she immediately said 'yes'. Then I told her she could play anything she wanted, at which point she responded that she wanted to play jazz. I leant her my CDs and she was off and running - plus some other music thrown in there.










Playlist
  • Nina Simone (b. Tryon, NC); Anthology CD; I Wish I Knew How it WOuld Feel to be Free
  • Dizzy Gillespie (schooled in Laurinburg, NC); The Dizzy Gillespie Story CD; Stardust
  • Max Roach (b. New Land, NC); Jazz in 3/4 CD; Blues Waltz
  • Duke Ellington; Alvin Ailey CD; Night Creatures 1st Movement
  • Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong; Ella & Louis Again CD; They All Laughed
  • Professor Longhair; Rum & Coke CD; Rum & Coca-cola
  • Bud Powell (time in Hillsborough, NC); The Very Best Of CD; Oh Poco Loco
  • Thelonious Monk (b. Rocky Mount, NC); Monk Plays Duke Ellington; Sophisticated Lady
  • Frankie Alexander (lives in Durham, NC); Mad About the Words CD; Cheek to Cheek
  • Keith Jarrett; At the Blue Note CD; When I Fall in Love
  • Miles Davis; The Best of the Capital CD; Autumn Leaves
  • Ray Charles; The Ray Charles Anthology CDs; Hit the Road Jack
  • Movie Soundtrack; Hairspray CD; Mama, I'm a Big Girl Now
  • Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington CD; Mood Indigo
  • Miles Davis; The Best of the Capital CD; Yesterdays
  • Journey; Journey CD; Don't Stop Believing
  • Dizzy Gillespie; The Dizzy Gillespie Story CD; Salt Peanuts
  • Frankie Alexander: Mad About the Words CD; Feeling Like Someone in Love











0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home